Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Busy

College.


Those were some good times.

I can remember being in college, living in the sorority house, telling everyone just how "busy" I was. I had "such little time to do anything but school and work."

I want to slap college me in the face.

College Katie didn't really know the meaning of the word "busy."

If you have time for 2 1/2 hour naps in your cold and cozy dorm room, College Katie, you are not "busy."

If you can skip biology class for the 100th time and go grab lunch at Foosackly's for hours on end and still pull out an A in the class, you, College Katie, are not "busy."

If you can hang out with your friends on the pier discussing deep issues of life and theology, you, my sweet precious College Katie, are NOT "busy."

But to me I was.

I'm not going to lie, I loved college. I didn't have the college experience that most had; it wasn't filled with wild weekends and crazy parties, but it was awesome. I learned about God. I learned how to love Him, how to study His word, how to struggle, how to come of out that struggle, and how to love myself because He first loved me. Some of my sweetest and most treasured friendships come from my college years. We were immature, yet we had it all together. We spent summers together. There were Beach Projects and trips to Mexico and everything in between. We suffered. We yearned for Eden. We longed for something better. And then we really grew up.




Some got married. Some continue to wait on a spouse. Some had babies. Some lost babies. Some wait on babies still to come. Many lose touch. We make new friends. We all long to be known. And then we feel "busy" all over again. 



If you ask me now, I will tell you I'm the busiest I've ever been. If you asked me five years ago, I would tell you the same thing. Talk to me in 2018 and I'll probably be singing the same song and dance and be wanting to slap "New Mom Katie" in face along with "College Katie." But the difference is, now, I rejoice in the busy. For God heard my prayers; He granted me the desires of my heart and He didn't have to do that. Not at this point in my life. What a joy. What a treasure. What a Savior.

So join with me in rejoicing in the busy. It just means you have more to be thankful for today and the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment